Thursday, March 15, 2012

Are you a Godly Mother?

Somedays (okay, most days) my time with my kids seem to just FLY by.  Wake up at 4:45, feed the baby, get myself ready, take out the dog, fix meals for daycare, feed toddler, bring in dog, find something for breakfast, get baby ready, make sure toddler is ready, walk out the door and get to work all before 7 AM.  That is just my morning schedule!  (leaving out the occasional argument and grumbling).  Sometimes I sit back at the end of the day, for the few minutes the house is quiet and think.  Think about the impact I'm having on my children.  Did I make a difference?  Did I do the right thing?  Did I spend enough quality time with each of my children to where they BOTH feel loved.  Did I show them compassion and the love of, Jesus....  Or did I let my tiredness get the best of me and I rush my kids to bed so I can sit in the house, alone, for 5 minutes. 

This is my story.  Good.  Bad.  Hard.  Joyous. 

Last night, I kept wondering, how can I be a better mother to my children?  Many people don't realize the influence that parents have on their children.  2 Tim 1:5, the Apostle Paul makes the following statement concerning the GODLY INFLUENCES of a Mother and Grandmother, upon the life of Timothy, Paul states;

"I have been reminded of your sincere faith , which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice, and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also ............."

How then does a Godly Mother INFLUENCE her children?

A Godly Mother Has a PROFOUND INFLUENCE on Her Children

It was Lord Shaftesbury who said, "Give me a generation of Christian mothers and I will undertake to change the whole face of society in twelve months".

The word translated SINCERE, comes from the Greek word, from which we get our English word, HYPOCRITE. It means to be undisguised, to be without hypocrisy, to be genuine, to be sincere, to be without pretense or deceit. It is a word that RINGS with REALITY. Paul employed this word in 1 Tim 1:5, were he said,

The goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart (speak truth in love... not being blunt or rude and calling it honest) and a good conscience and a SINCERE faith. And again in 2 Cor 6:6, Paul used this word to describe his sincere love, he call's it ‘GENUINE Love' . James also uses this word, as he describes the final qualification of the ‘Wisdom from above ...', James 3:17;

Wisdom from above, is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, WITHOUT HYPOCRISY.

The SINCERE FAITH of Timothy's Mother Eunice and grandmother Lois made a DEEP and LASTING impression on Timothy's life. The REALITY of their faith, deeply impressed Timothy. Timothy was a young man who had a Godly heritage.


It is my prayer today that I can be a mother more like Eunice and Lois- and make a lasting impression for my children and generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment